The Lilly Network of Church-Related Colleges and Universities is happy to announce a new program—The Lilly Faculty Fellows Program—for mid-career faculty leaders across the disciplines to engage the intersections of Christian thought and practice with the academic vocation. This initiative will:
- refresh and enliven a sense of calling for participants as people of faith, as teachers, and scholars
- provide a space for creative exploration of how Christian thought and practice intersect the academic vocation
- provide funds for Fellows to develop and pilot Faculty Fellow programs on their own campuses. Although the Lilly Network has in the past emphasized faculty programs in humanities and the arts, this project especially seeks applicants from STEM, social scientific, and professional fields.
This program is a pilot for a new, ongoing Faculty Fellows initiative in the Lilly Network, so we especially seek faculty interested in a creative exploration of how to engage these topics and emphases, and we seek a rich disciplinary and ecumenical mix of participants. The funded campus projects likewise will be sites for creativity and experimentation in ways to examine, cultivate, and enliven faculty engagement with Christian thought and practice as experienced on church-related campuses.
Applications for the second cohort of Faculty Fellows will be accepted in Fall 2020.
We will select eight teams of two Fellows each, from eight different Network Schools. Each team will participate in a two-year program that includes four conferences in Indianapolis and Chicago. We will also provide start up funds of $10,000 to each participating team to inaugurate a Lilly Faculty Fellows Program on its own campus. Individual Fellows also will be awarded a $5000 honorarium for participation. The schedule for the program is as follows:
- November 15, 2018 Applications Due
- February 1, 2019 Fellows Named
- June 2-5, 2019 Inaugural Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana
- October 4-6, 2019 Second Conference, Chicago, Illinois
- April 3-5, 2020 Third Conference, Chicago, Illinois
- Academic year 2020/2021 Pilot Faculty Fellow Programs on Fellow campuses
- June, 2021 Fourth Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana
- In general, applicants must demonstrate a desire for the Fellowship, creative engagement with the intersections of Christian and academic thought and practice, and established campus leadership.
- Applications are for teams of two mid-career faculty members.
- Applicants must be tenured (or have received the equivalent of tenure at their institutions) at a member school of the Lilly Network of Church-Related Colleges and Universities. Preference is given to teaching faculty.
- At least one member of the team must be in a STEM, social scientific, or professional field.
- Applicant teams must have approval from their chairs or preferably deans.
The Application Deadline has now passed
Application package must include:
1. Application Cover Sheet Download Here
2. Application statement from each participant in separate letters covering:
- Sources of interest in and motivation for entering the program
- Experience in engaging Christian thought and practice with the academic vocation
- Experience in informal or formal campus leadership
3. CVs of both team members
4. Letter or letters of recommendation from Chair(s) or Dean(s) (one letter for the team or two separate letters for each team member).